You are a Jerk!

And good morning to you too.
This statement is a common on as my Aspie son is walking out the door.

Why am I a jerk? Because I am "rushing him" so he will get to school and make the bus. He was mad because he beleives he is deathly ill with a cold (OHHHH do you have the sniffos?) and wanted to stay home and pretend real illness. If he doesn't catch the bus the recourse is walking to school. And yes I have made him do that too.

It is easy to be nicer and say "Oh poor baby, you can stay home today and do nothing all day." Then proceed to take the day off, argue him into staying in bed and making him rest the entire day. It is harder to make him go to school.

From what I have been reading lately I think we need to make our kids do stuff. Whatever stuff that may be they need to do it. Clean their rooms, do their homework, be responsible for their stuff.....lately he has tried the excuse, "But I have Aspergers." OK and I have 3 cats with wet noses, SO WHAT???? I have brown hair and you have Aspergers...that doesn't excuse what you are doing and how you are behaving towards me or to others.What it means is that I need to be tougher on you and you need to try a heck of a lot harder than most people. I constantly tell him his Aspergers can come out when he is in his bedroom with the door closed. When he is out in public it has to be buttoned up tight and kept for at home.

Make your Aspergers work for you, don't you work for it.
In a nutshell, that is why I am a jerk.

Popular Posts