Manners, manners, manners

Temple Grandin, "The other thing is, teach these kids manners. I was raised in the ‘50s and ‘60s, and manners were drilled into me. I see kids [on the spectrum] today that have no manners. That’s going to hurt them. You can’t punish a child who is acting out because of sensory overload. But it’s unacceptable to see kids throwing things and slapping people. I see kids with Asperger’s [a mild form of autism] who can’t hold a job because they are constantly late. Teach kids to use an alarm clock. This is common sense and sometimes we forget about common sense. Autism is used too much as an excuse for bad behavior."

LOVE IT!

This is totally on target and what we have been believing for years and here a wonderful Autism advocate SAYS IT! Perfect, now if people would listen and believe it that would be even better.

It is NOT up to the schools to teach your kids manners, or to be on time or to learn to pace themselves, it is UP TO THE PARENTS. We have to show them a good example, and teach it to our kids and then THEY can practice while in school and learn to do it right on the school schedule. THEN learn to practice at home and learn to do it right on the job.

SO many kids with any disability are brats. they are bad tempered and just plain mean. I will never forget the one evening at speech therapy, there was a child whose Mom said, "Go ahead, take 2 one for each hand" immediately after a tantrum that the therapist said that he could only have one piece of candy after their session. This kid was smug and the Mom let the little monster get away with it.

Yeah it is easier to let the kids be little farts. It would save me a TON of arguments about how my son is not going to behave a certain way. I will tell you here and now, my son is a polite child. I have been told that he is polite by almost everyone, even the police officers at his school. My son has been TRAINED to behave himself. Others need to do it too! This is important because using a disability as an excuse for dismal behavior is completely unacceptable.

If your kid lies, or is cruel to others, train them otherwise. TEACH your kids not to be like that. There are positive Christian examples you can use. We used Vegie Tales when our son was younger, and let me tell you our son is a GOOD KID.

THANK YOU TEMPLE!! Your thoughts are amazing and I am so impressed with this quote- again I LOVE IT!

Popular Posts