Keeping Busy

Yesterday I was told that the boy was bored. He had to do some things on his own and he found it increasingly difficult to do so.
"I'm bored when you two aren't with me."

My reaction was, "You need to learn to be bored. It is a normal reaction."

I wanted to say, "How Sweet." but it really isn't sweet. the boy has to learn to be BORED. Mind-numbingly bored and NOT REACT, whine or complain about it.
It is a tough thing to learn....to motivate oneself to react positively (or at work to do more) to not be bored. He has to learn this trait and in this world of INSTANT gratification being bored is a bonus.

On this wonderous holiday weekend we need to teach the kids to BE BORED and not run to the TV or cartoons or anything. Just be.

I wonder if we are going to be able to do that too, or if it will have to wait a year.

Popular Posts