8-10 hours and on a "Mission from God"

I have always needed a lot of sleep. 8-10 hours a night. Uninterrupted. Which means no jumping kitties no phone no boy noises.
If I don't get enough sleep I feel like I am dragging myself though the ionosphere wishing for a run-in with Neptune just to make life a little more exciting.

Tonight I was relieved to learn that Dan Aykroyd has Aspergers. He is obsessed with ghosts and law enforcement.
Cool.

It is interesting to note that yes, he does have Aspergers- that is great to know but NOTICE this - Dan was FORCED to fit in. He had to go to school, and it is unlikely there was much support except for a teacher calling his mom and probably saying, "You know, Mrs. Aykroyd, your Daniel is a little over active in school. We think you should put him in a sport, why don't you try baseball." What do you make a bet?

Anyway what I am getting at is back then there was no sticking the kids with each other (although now "It's easier on the teachers to put all the special ed students together. Let's do that so they can't learn from those who could lead them and teach them appropriate peer manners.").

Back in the day these problem students  had to be in the classroom and deal with whatever happened. Teachers had to deal with it and make these kids sit in there seats, behave and do their work. There was no parents wimping out and saying, "My kid would never do that. He is not capable of it." Bullshit
These kids can do anything - they are capable and the little monsters are master manipulators- all of them do it even if the intelligence tests come back that they are dumb. FYI intelligence tests don't always work on our kids (these kids are so smart it is almost impossible to test) so if you are relying on it (because you want to believe your kid is dumb) you may want to re-think your strategy.

Detention was the effective punishment (although tonight I think I would throw the boy in a double detention- he took his annoying pills today and is driving me up the freaking wall); yup they got those detentions.... I know the boy got his fair share too (I begged them to give him at least 3, I think he got 2).

But the thing is - yes Dan is successful and yes he is doing some amazing stuff (movies, producing, winery, vodka- his interests have expanded).
AND he was pushed to fit in, do what the other kids were doing.
He came up with totally awesome ideas- Ghostbusters- and what good American kid doesn't know "Who are you gonna call? Ghostbusters!" after working on another American iconic film, The Blues Brothers; "They're not gonna catch us. We're on a mission from God!"

Yet as parents we are told that our kids can't do it. They aren't smart enough, they aren't good enough they aren't capable.

Bullshit.

My son is on a "Mission From GOD!"

Take it away Jake and Elwood-


 

Comments

Popular Posts