"Separate but Equal for the Handicapped

This is in conjunction with a prior post called "Overflowing" Both are about acceptance of the handicapped and kind of in line with what i was discussing yesterday.

Have you ever heard the term "separate but equal"? I had not until I read "The Help". I have several copies of that book, hard copy, e-book and I think one other. That book makes me grow every time I read it.
It also makes me realize how different view points can create a group methodology that can be harmful to one sector of the population. i was thinking about that the other day. It hit me that there are disabled adults who are forced to be on SS but are really active and able to participate more than they are allowed to do. These adults are indoctrinated as students; they are taught things- dumbed down curriculum, not forced to try or fit in and finally isolated by society for not fitting into a preconceived box that most people put them in to feel better about themselves.

I think that most people are insecure about experiences and things they don't know about. I know the cute one and I are very much like that. I also know that I haven't written on this blog in a while out of pain. Not because I had nothing to say but I am struggling with verbalizing what I want to say and how I want to verbalize what is going on. I am kind of using Jerry Seinfeld as a role model- trying so hard not to swear a blue streak to get the words out. It is harder than it appears. Usually when I have to get like this I start talking what my friend says is "talking dictionary" I have a tendency to text words that people have to look up. I don't do the "talking dictionary" on purpose but I am doing it so I don't swear and get more upset. It does calm me down and I can laugh about it later.

Anyhow, getting back to the separate but equal for the handicapped. There is so much of this in education it can make you dizzy. We experienced it a lot and fell for the smoke up our ass and we thought we were doing the right thing. God only knows if we did the right thing by the boy or not. I am still not sure. I sincerely believe he can do more and do it all. I desperately want to get him back on the diet we found in Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook (veggies in everything- chopping up veggies and freezing them; ditching the junk food). I think we still have a copy of it somewhere. I would like us all to go to the gym again - I want to bring things back to where it was with the boy when things were good and we were stupid and deluded.


There will never be an equality for people like the boy. There will only be separate. There will never be equal.

We all have to learn to live with that because life is not fair. It just isn't  and you know what - we all have to learn from that unfairness to make things work for us instead of dwelling on the unfairness of it all. I have to let it go too which is why I blog.....this allows me a tool to vent out my frustrations and then let it go.....and hope that someone else has the same feeling that i do when I wish for more for my son - that he become MORE than his Aspergers and that he lets his Aspergers work for him instead of him working for his Aspergers.



Comments

Popular Posts