Creative Banality

"There are times when being creative makes you sound like a moron.".
That is one of my better lines. I have a few proud parenting moments (sarcasm here).

We were having what we like to call a "discussion" in the car today. The boy was on his way to a serve for his school club and was irate and complaining. "I will be bored, I will hate this I don't want to."...and on and on about how creative he is and how no. Fighting him is futile. He will yell on and on that he is creative and the cuter half and I are as boring as dirt.....but then it is the same boring creativity that he claims he has.....so his argument really doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Sorry, there is only ONE truly creative person (artist who wrote her own illustration book) I know....No make that TWO (creates awesome jewelry that I wear all the time)....and he is not either of them. WAIT, make that THREE- my cousin who makes awesome cat toys....Trouble still plays with his catnip carrot and loves it. OK so 3 no 4- my sis in laws- one who painted a flower painting for our bedroom and the other who remade cushions for my grandmother's chair....OK now I am up to 5 truly creative people.....(we are an artsy couple....after I post this I know there will be more). My two song-birds who sang at the cuter half and my wedding...so now 7 truly creative people...wait, 8 my buddy's gf who is a clothing designer.
Alright, there are more, but if I missed you that means you are reading this and can add yourself at the bottom in the comments.

Back on topic, I had told the boy that in HS there were plenty of people who really thought they were really creative but instead they were boring and sounded like morons. They were attempting to out create each other but there were very few people with a really creative bone in their body.

I think it hit home.

He is always trying to come up with what he thinks is interesting creative conversations that are just really dumb. I know, and I am his Mom. I shouldn't be saying that should I? Well I am. Some of the creative stuff is not in fact creative- it is not even a thought process to get into something else. It is just plain stupid.

After his hissy fit he calmed down. I took over the car conversation and disallowed further negative comments and told the boy that he was to be quiet and look out the window. Hence the cuter half and I started discussing a house we had seen (looking for our home when we got married) while driving past one in particular. Then discussed a prior conversation.....it was all low key. The boy was still pissy but got out of the car and went to his serve.

I think that there are some conversations to be best had in the car.

I think if the boy actually was creative he would be coming up with something that would be part of his interests in the kitchen. For example, when I had pneumonia, he was trying to make me better with his kitchen cures. I swear some of the cures were gonna kill me....but he was TRYING to be creative. THAT is what he doesn't get. There is real creativity and then there is banality. Attempting to force banality into creativity is akin to working yourself into a Dadaist mentality (Dadaist gives itself to nothing). a brief definition- "Dada rejected reason and logic, prizing nonsense, irrationality and intuition."

The boy being a Dadaist is really beyond the realms of our expectations. The boy having Aspergers and applying the Aspie life to Dadaism is a cultural revelation within itself. It means that the boy's nonsense and ridiculous ideas are, in part, an extension of a realm of an art form.

I think I need to go to bed now. This is just getting to freaky weird....I didn't even have wine with dinner tonight. I came up with this comparison all on my own.

Comments

Popular Posts