Mask 101



My friend asked me how I made masks.
I kind of made up my own pattern. I don't like the ear elastics because they mess up my earrings. So I started messing with headbands, elastics and fabric.
I would say my first few were a dismal failure.
Then I came up with an idea.

I would start out using cotton. I have used t-shirts and if you decide to use old t-shirts make sure you have a strong sewing machine needle. I have broken 2 needles on tshirts thus far. Before starting WASH YOUR FABRIC FIRST. When it is dry it is OK to start your project

Step 1:
Selecting your fabric.
I am using an old work t-shirt from my general manager. He had asked me to make him 2 blue masks with an old shirt he gave me to cut up.
In this picture (above) I am measuring to 9 inches wide in this picture and using a sharpie marker to indicate where I want to start my cutting.
In this second picture I am measuring to 6 inches high. Again I am using a marker to indicate where to make my next cuts.
Follow this on the next side and measure up 6 inches.

Step 2:
CUTTING - Yea!! This is the fun part
Start cutting at one of your dots - it doesn't matter which one, Try your best to cut in a straight line. Cotton will lie pretty flat for you. Depending on the age of the t-shirt it may roll up; this one isn't that old so it laid pretty straight, IF you haven't worked with fabric often I would stick with cotton. It is easier.


Cut out 2 pieces the same size use your dots to help and if you don't cut them at the same time remeasure and repeat Step 1.

Step 3:
Taking the outside fabric put it on the inside and leave it there. As you can see I marked the inside of the fabric so you know which part we are working with. All of the sewing will be done from this side until the very end,


Take the top of the mask and sew it 2x from one end to the other, this is to reinforce the stitching. If the mask is for a person who may be taking it off or a young adult you can expect that extra stitching will assist in making the mask a little more durable.
this is the first line of stitching. and this is the second

Step 4: Prepping for the elastic.
Sewing the sides is not difficult but try to think on WHO the mask is for. Example: If I am making one for my son with sensory issues I am having to be careful to make the mask comfortable but not too tight. 

Using an elastic or a headband will suit the same purpose so whichever you can get your hands on - use that.
 this is 1/2 a headband. I used a full headband on another mask and with this type of headband it was too loose. So I decided to make this next mask with only a half of one.
Put the headband/elastic on the outside fabric enclosing it like in the picture. This is not a mistake. Doing it this way will not allow the headband/elastic to pull outwards
Sew the sides and make a pleat on each end 
(using smaller headband/elastic you would put the elastic near the top and about 1/2 and inch off the bottom then do 2 pleats in the center)
Sew then make the same seam near or on top of the one you just did- keep it as even as you can. reverse several times over elastic and pleats to keep them in place.

Then do the next side. and do the same as you did for the first side.

If you are concerned that the sides won't match put the corners together and match them up like this -see photo

Step 5: 
Turn the mask right side out. 
take a pen with a cap and push out the corners a bit. Then straighten to get the mask looking ok.
This is the back of the mask with the headband attached.

And this is the front of the mask

Finally, hemming the bottom -you are at the finish line
If you are using a t-shirt fabric be smart and don't sew it on the machine - I have busted 2 needles doing that. IF you are using cotton as long as its not a great wad of fabric you should be OK. Sew the bottom 2x and yes it will show but on most faces it will be under your or their chin so it won't matter too much.

Here is a finished product - this particular one was made with cotton cloth and very easy to put together



These are NOT a medical professional option. This is a basic mask option for those of us with not a lot of time, money or overall ability. 

Hope this helps- leave comments or message me with any questions.




























Comments

Popular Posts