Making changes, marking time and in a vortex

Hi all,
Yes it has been long over due for me to get on this blog thing. Really I have had nothing I had wanted to say publically...

and I keep remembering my sibling telling me that no one wanted to know anything about what I was thinking. But screw that - 

We three are in a vortex. If you do not know what a vortex is I will define it for you here:

a mass of whirling fluid or air, especially a whirlpool or whirlwind.

Like dervishes we are flying about in circles. For example, my week ends on numbers and by the next after noon I am back on the number wheel again. My cute one is working and the boy has a job. All of us work but it feels like we are marching in place and on hectic days whirling dervishes.

We have made some changes around the house, which have been great. We finally got some new stuff after years of having a fridge that froze everything and an oven that wasn't working....slowly we are getting stuff back together to make this place OURS. Yes it took a while. AND we changed the boy's room....much to his chagrin.

Let's back up a bit.

SOOOOO getting rid of stuff. When we decided to redo the master bedroom we took out a lot of stuff. we got rid of clothing- I finally dumped all the suits i was not ever going to wear again. After about 10 bags of stuff that I hadn't bothered to get rid of before we decided that we needed to re-evaluate our deals. The cute one and I unintentionally went looking for matching bedroom furniture. I know right? we had early, bohemian attic garage sale and we went to clearance IKEA but super nice.
AND ended up redoing closet space, in 2 rooms and getting rid of things we weren't going to wear again.

After all that came the windows and the boy's space:

I had not set foot in the boy's room for let's say a couple of years. First off I had always seen it as his space, I wasn't into controlling what he had in his room and I didn't really want to know. When we had windows measured the guy went into his room and told us that the "horder heaven" had to be diminished as no one would go in there.

BAM

It was then that the cute one and I realized that allowing that kind of mess was not only really bad for him - it was effing embarrassing.

We had to reorganize. The boy was well let's say LESS than enthusiastic. This meant moving his bed, his book shelves his stuff- repacking and even purchasing some new stuff. He really needs a new bed too but I am not going there right now. ANYWAY, we started moving things around. And it was hard and we shouldn't have to do that but yeah we did have to. IF we wanted the window replaced (steel, moldy mess) we had to get the junk out of the way to get the window in. The boy ended up with a new desk top and storage space and book shelf. IT makes for a bit of narrow walking but there is no place for "hoarder heaven" to start up on the floor. Doing the IKEA route with the Billy Bookcases and the IKEA piece room really helped out with the new deal. The desk top is better than it was before- longer and more like a table top. we were able to set up a station area and the boy had places to put things. His shelves are packed but then so is his room.

What really hit home was when we sent pictures to his therapist. It was then we realized that we were allowing the worst traits in us to accumulate with the boy. The cute one says that the autism brings out the worst traits in the boy from both parental sides and we have to work to make things better and more comprehensible and important to the boy.

Ergo, we have too much crap. the cute one and I are kind of like the dumping ground for most peoples stuff. We have started in the last year or so getting rid of things we know we can't help with. We still have things for some people that we agreed to work on and we will do it but it is like I always say, "Our time frame is like no one else's and we can get to what we can get to and we do what we can but nothing will ever be immediate (like within a month) unless it is emergent then it goes to the top of the list." Basically, if you want us to do whatever the cute one and I will but it may or may not get done in fwhat most consider a normal amount of time. We do what we can do when it fits in the schedule or not.

Now for the rest of the house. we are starting a room we had never touched before. IT is a room we use ALL the time and we are maxed on space and it s a real mess most of the time. The cute one can cook thank God (or we would starve to death- I am a horrible cook) Yup it is the kitchen we don't know what we are doing yet but we are looking at some major alterations.

which will go back to the boy not liking change and we are certainly going to hear about that one too, If I have time and I am up to it I may write about our upgrading experiences with the boy. OR I may just hide in a corner, learning french and taking a class or two online.

In the meantime (I don't feel like going into other things so I am stalling) there are some videos that have just made me happy and I am including them because I am dancing on the inside and I hope they make you dance too.



and this new one from Carpool Karaoke 




Comments

Popular Posts