Freaking out the Aspie or "50 year old Purge"

2018 has been the year of freaking out the house aspie aka the boy.

The cute one and I have been clearing out stuff. Seriously making an effort to purge stuff we don't need/want/use. If it is questionable we say we will keep it for a year and if it goes unused it GOES.

The first thing we did was get some furniture. the first time in like 20 years and we finally have bedroom furniture that matches. I know right- crazy..... I had been talking about taking over the home office and making it my closet so that the cute one would have the entire closet in the master.....he decided that moving his stuff to a ginormous armour (which is LOVELY btw) would make space.....I emptied 1 closet (10 year old suits went bye bye) and getting rid of old purses/shoes/scarves....and general junk....well we are almost there.

Damn snow put a kink into things but we can empty the extra unneeded furniture out of the dining room soon.

I think the biggest thing for me is making the effort....I have a lot of stuff from when I worked for different companies/organizations and such that frankly it is unlikely I will ever use again. So why keep it? In the hopes I will get a job where I have to match my shoes to my shirt and earrings (damn it I do that anyway I don't need this many pairs of shoes). The cute one was calling some of it "nasty old lady shoes" and "Why do you need that? You won't wear that orange crushed velvet jacket - make it go away"
He is right.

Anyway - in this house any kind of change automatically flips out the reigning house aspie. the boy. He does not do well with small changes....making huge ones (shit we can actually walk into a room without dealing with a bunch of boxes) well that kind of messes with his psyche.....and he feels weird about living in a room that I keep telling him I am going to condemn (not really).

the cool thing is - I am sleeping better. I am not surrounded (or feeling so) about having all this stuff....and I am actually enjoying having things all in one place... I know I don't need to go to the newest Lancome gift with purchase- I have a box full of stuff and I have just opened my new Defincils (waterproof black mascara- ****** the best EVER). I am using up the creams and all the other stuff that there is just a drop left and tossing the containers....and you know what - it is getting clear. Not being over burdened with stuff is very freeing. Did Thourou say that

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Henry David Thoreau



What we see around us is what is important. Giving us that freedom to choose what we need and not what we think we want in the moment.....that is a big as climbing a mountain.

We will continue with our "50 year old death purge" although neither of us are going to die any time soon (you couldn't get that lucky - vultures). And we will go forth and enjoy what we have and what we are doing and where we are thinking we want to go without having a huge amount of stuff to hold us back and make us think we need to keep it all.....


who knew that really going through your house could make one feel good about life... we have a long way to go but at least we will have a great time figuring it all out together.




Comments

Popular Posts