the drive home from work

Today's post is about the drive home from the boy's internship. He had called and was walking home but requested a ride because he was hungry (running late and left w/out b-fast) and felt kind of yucky. I made a RARE offer to take him to Starbucks as he was in need of a muffin and I thought a rare decaf mocha would be a nice treat since things have been accepted as part of the new realm around here (he is living in a sort of purdah- things are tightly monitored and controlled - he has to earn our trust again).

We were talking about people who were disabled. Some who have become famous and how they handled what they decided to do for themselves. There are so many wonderful people; he mentioned Dr. Stephen Hawking. I thought he made a good choice there.

Then I asked him, "Do you know who Susan Boyle is?" Have you seen her first video on Britain's Got Talent? If not I will include a link here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x908j7_bgt-2009-susan-boyle-i-dreamed-a-dr_shortfilms  I have found this to be totally inspiring - I first saw it at the LH where Princess lives. We were in the lobby watching it on the computer with the other residents. Tears just rolled. Susan's talent is overwhelming. It still brings me to tears to see how much she is able to do with her music. Absolutely wonderful.

Anyway the boy was asking me who inspired me to do more. I told him, "Susan Boyle" then I asked him if he knew who she was and why I thought she was so wonderful?  I explained, "It is because she has DONE MORE than what was expected. No one expected her to do much of anything and she made the choice to take herself out of where she was and make MORE of herself."

The boy is in college and wants to be MORE. He is trying so hard and yes there are times when he blows it (with exceptional talent and in a big way too) and you know maybe the cute one and I should have given up on him years ago. At one point he pleaded with us to help him be more. He still tells us we work him too hard and push him; but think about it - most of the people he is acquaintances with don't do more. Maybe one class a semester, maybe not, or maybe once in a while.....there is no pushing, no goals, no spoken dreams and whatever happens will happen.

Being More: this is a total state of mind - for those who are not exactly esoteric that means that you are doing so much more than what is expected of you - sometimes being nothing and doing less is just easier than going out and kicking ass.

I have to believe that Stephen, Temple and Susan would agree that being MORE is better than being less. It is what I believe and I wish the expectations of others would mean that the kids on the spectrum can DO MORE than what most people expect. Pushing the envelope- raising the bar- wearing jeans and khakis and no sweatpants (except in gym) Being MORE.

It is easier to not do it.
Hell yes, why stress, why push, why do?
Because when the karma, shit and all the other stuff hits the fan and we are asked why we didn't try harder I will be damned if I am asked that question. I will not be the parent of the kid who didn't TRY to make their kid MORE. OUR kids only reach as far as they are pushed. I am disgusted and disappointed with these gen schools who lump all our kids together and then work to the lowest common denominator. I have heard it way too many damn times and it is time now for parents to quit supporting these lower expectation losers.

So assholes, you want to raise taxes, and have us pay more? Rock on and you know what? MAKE YOUR SCHOOLS get off their lazy asses and make these kids work. Where would we be without Einstein,. Hawking, Edison, Grandin, and all the rest? Ford, and Jobs, and the others who think outside the God-damned box?

Where we are now. With our American kids not able to be hired for jobs that require advanced math and using the brains they have for something more than what they are doing or taking the easy way out.

So yeah, it's hard and as parents of a kid like mine we are bone weary tired. SO effing what? We still have to work with our kids because society will NOT change for them. OUR kids can be MORE and do MORE and STRIVE FOR MORE only if we hold them to the standards that our schools are miserably failing at.

Be like Susan. Be MORE.





 

Comments

Popular Posts