New Years goals.....moving the goals out and finishing them.

Well, the holidays are done. Clearning up and cleaning out....recycling the wrapping paper, tossing out the garbage. That is the easy part.
 
Reorganzing- Now that is tough. We had helped the boy reorganize his stuff from last semester. I had showed him how to set up the files and what we were saving. Papers he had got back from his english prof, math homework, his PE stuff, a textbook that is falling apart....all in the same place with spots for the coming semester and his new classes.
 
This is also the time of year that the cuter half and I start cleaning or reorganizing the "gift closet". This is a closet that we store our winter coats, put our gloves and tea light houses.....OK MY tea light houses, we have a percolator (a giant coffee maker; when I was a little girl I only knew how to make terrible coffee in the percolator scary huh?) and candles, pictures to frame and some other good stuff.  This year we organized enough and decided to purge some old coats and some jeans that the boy will never wear again....Thought for the day NEVER shop for your kid during their sports season they get skinny and are too lazy to work out more and gain weight so they can't wear the new clothes.....
 
We have several goals for the new year. Some we are finagling to complete before the end of this month. Others we are trying to plan for the new coming year.
Our first goal was to get the good garage sale items out of the house.
 
We have some great rummage sale finds. Seriously, before the economy tanked you could buy some really great stuff cheap. Now, not so much. It is harder to locate the good stuff at a decent price. Anyway we ended up with some great finds and once it comes in the stuff never ever leaves. Most items in our home have this habit of mating in our cabinets. We have NO CLUE where some of this stuff has come from and yet we have a pile of dishes we have never seen before located in our cabinets.....I seriously do not know where these sets of two plates have come from. Please, this is us, we don't do two plates; we want ten just in case someone comes over here for dinner. Although recently I think our max is five people for dinner. The plates I am thinking of were purchased and a rummage sale....I believe they were from Red Lobster when the store was redesigned. Actually the plates are fine but they are flipping huge. We don't need to eat that much, the cute one and I are chubbos anyway. We don't need more help.
 
All the more reason to get stuff out of the house. We have too much stuff...the home office needs major renovations....the home office is a dressing room, a library and a room of crap and junk. Actually it really isn't junk....it is stuff we are trying to sell for a friend when we can actually download pictures again on our computer. We have this great stuff and are slowly trying to sell for what we can and it is doing OK. However this one class the boy took the teacher assigned a gia-normous computer program for the class that basically took over our computer and all the extra space. SO we couldn't do much with anything until the week prior to Christmas. I am still trying to figure out if I should take the system off or just leave it until I know we don't need it anymore.
So there are boxes on boxes of stuff that isn't ours.
Oddly enough, we really need to reorganize in here and at one point it was fine but right now it is out of a scene in the program "Hoarders". And I get it, I totally understand where those people are coming from. How do you function? How do you let go? What of mine can I keep and what can I get rid of and damn it when will I be able to walk in here again without breaking my neck? Thankfully this is only in the office where it is a nightmare...the rest of the hosue is cluttered but not as dreadful as the office.

As I pointed out to the cuter half, I think the reason our stuff got out of had is that we are depressed. Dealing with the boy stuff, and his hanging and his being annoying has taken its toll on both the cuter half and I. I tell the boy "One kiss on the top of my head" and he refuses to listen. However, if I try to knee him on the balls he gets mad at me. What about my personal space? Stay the fuck away from me and stop being annoying.... (I never ever said that I was Mother of the Year- I am not and will never claim to be EVER). I admit I am not good with the boy hanging on me. I have never been good with feeling like a piece of meat....I just don't like it...creeps me out totally.

Yup, overwhelmed depressed mom here.  Which is why the cuter half and I decided it was time to loose the excess. Not just our excess fat, but the excess stuff of ours that we don't really need. So we are planning our escape from the extra.

We decided to start with candles. We have a bookshelf full and belive it or not actually burn ours and we have used up and got rid of lots but we never ever need to buy more tapers again ever. We have more that we will ever need. Deciding to go through the candles and get rid of what we don't need was hard. We went through all of them and then in reorganizing the dining room found more (!!!!). I bit the bullet and actually tossed 2 faded out candles and a broken one (but wait, take the broken one and cut the broken piece off and use it- that is called being a craft store junkie never toss anything you might need it).

I swear after years of the two of us working at a craft store we both have OCD; we never get rid of anything that can be used. For example, when the garbage hits our curb it is REALLY garbage. No one would ever garbage pick at our house. We use it until it really is trash. It is very rare that anyone would stop here and pick anything up....we just use it until there is no further use. So today, throwing stuff out was a real pain in the neck.....when I tossed those three candles I reminded the cuter one that we still had a long way to go but at least this was a reasonable start. We then had the floodgates opened and were able to reorganize more stuff and decide what goes where and why and we even found empty boxes for broken items that we needed to toss as the broken stuff was already tossed and we certainly didn't need the boxes any longer.

So for us, cleaning out is going to most likely be more than reorganizing or throwing away our junk. I think it is going to be us re-vamping our personal space, reviewing what we need to do and reordering the goals for the new year. We are skipping out on new years resolutions as we never keep them anyway. But if we can finish ONE GOAL for the year....then we are doing great.



"Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)"
Anthony works in the grocery store
Savin' his pennies for someday
Mama Leone left a note on the door,
She said,
"Sonny, move out to the country."
Oh but workin' too hard can give you
A heart attack
You oughta know by now
Who needs a house out in Hackensack?
Is that all you get for your money?

It seems such a waste of time
If that's what it's all about
Mama, if that's movin' up then I'm movin' out.

Sergeant O'Leary is walkin' the beat
At night he becomes a bartender
He works at Mister Cacciatore's down
On Sullivan Street
Across from the medical center
He's tradin' in his Chevy for a Cadillac
You oughta know by now
And if he can't drive
With a broken back
At least he can polish the fenders

And it seems such a waste of time
If that's what it's all about
Mama, if that's movin' up then I'm movin' out.

You should never argue with a crazy mind
You oughta know by now
You can pay Uncle Sam with the overtime
Is that all you get for your money?

And if that's what you have in mind
Yaeh that's what your all about,
Good luck movin up, cause I'm movin' out!

I'm movin' out...

Comments

Popular Posts